Content Writer (Personal Finance) - Full-Time, Remote
Student Loan Hero (SLH) combines financial education with easy-to-use tools to help the millions of Americans living with student loan debt to manage their student loans smarter.
Since 2012, Student Loan Hero has helped more than 80,000 borrowers to manage and eliminate over $1.7 billion in student loan debt. Each year, it helps more than one million people become financially healthy.
For both current and former students who want to manage their loans in line within their own budget, Student Loan Hero offers free loan calculators, unbiased personalized advice, and repayment plans, all with a user-friendly interface and dashboard.
What does the Content Writer do?
The mission of the Content Writer is to craft amazing blog posts and other content that knocks our readers' socks off. We want the reaction to our writing to be "Wow! This is the most insanely useful resource I've ever read on the topic!"
We help our readers and users answer important questions about their student loans and their finances in general. This process includes making concepts from the often-confusing world of student loans and personal finance easy to understand so that our readers can take action.
The Content Writer is crucial to making this happen. The primary way the Content Writer will do this is through the SLH blog and website. The Content Writer should be comfortable writing content, especially related to student loans and topics of personal finance. Knowing how to identify interesting topics and produce a compelling blog post is a must for this position.
The Content Writer will also help SLH create and publish content writing on external sites as well, such as Forbes, Huffington Post, Entrepreneur, and more.
The ideal candidate for this position should have an entrepreneurial mindset and be ready to take on and initiate new projects when he or she sees the need.
What’s it like to work on the Student Loan Hero team?
Student Loan Hero is a fully remote team. We have team members all over the world, in cities including NYC, Austin, Portland, Santiago, and St. Petersburg.
Since we’re literally all over the map, communication using Slack, Gmail, Basecamp, Google Hangouts, and other tools is key for us. Don't worry—you won't be alone. We communicate regularly throughout the day.
In our small group, each team member uses highly specialized skills while working on a variety of projects. We enjoy giving our team members autonomy to do the work that interests them. We’re focused on the output of each team member, not putting in long hours.
We’re always open to new ways to create better content and make Student Loan Hero better for student loan borrowers, and we want to hear new ideas from you. A large part of our culture and values is transparency. We believe that team members should collaborate and communicate, not compete or engage in office politics.
At the same time, we like to make work as much fun as possible. We want everyone on our team to grow both personally and professionally, which is why we offer wellness and educational bonuses, as well as several other great perks.
Above all, we’re each proud to work on solving meaningful problems and to impact lives every day. Whether it’s authoring a blogpost read by thousands of borrowers or answering a one-on-one customer support question, we value that working for Student Loan Hero makes a positive impact.
- 2+ years experience writing and publishing online, particularly in blog post format
- Familiarity with proper formatting, style, and tone of blog posts
- Ability to research and contribute ideas you can write about
- Ability to quickly turn around assignments for breaking news, etc.
- Availability to work full time
- Experience writing about student loans and other personal finance topics
- Experience with conducting interviews for articles
- Experience promoting blog posts (on social media, via email, etc.)
- Familiarity with WordPress
- Familiarity with SEO best practices
- Competitive salary: Based on experience and location
- Equity: 0.05–0.15% in vested company ownership
- Vacation: Unlimited
- Flexible hours: Work when you’re most productive
- Work remotely: Work from wherever you want in the world (Costa Rica, anyone?)
- New equipment: We’ll hook you up with a $2,000 technology stipend to purchase a laptop or whatever helps you work
- Remote workspace: We'll pay up to $500/month for a remote office space (e.g., co-working space)
- Wellness: Up to $450/month for wellness-related expenses, including health insurance and gym membership
- Continuing education: Up to $100/month for courses, books, or anything you’d like to learn!
- Financial contribution: Receive a 100% match of up to 3% of annual salary to a retirement account, and up to $2,000 annually toward student loan repayment assistance.
Please click "Apply for this job" below to begin your application for this position. Thank you!